It is the fifth week of 100 Days of Scouting, 2011. Time to dig out that 1984 Boy Scout Handbook for another ten questions from the Scout Mania trivia book. Today’s subject is General Trivia. (Keep in mind that these questions were based on the 1984 edition of the Boy Scout Handbook. This is important to keep in mind as you take this quiz.) Good Luck!
1) Name three of the four common methods for cooking meat.
2) What do you call a rope with a toggle on one end and an eye splice on the other?
3) There are many ways to personally measure distance. Name five.
4) Name two common methods for preparing fish.
5) When talking about boating, what is a “PDF”?
6) Give three of the four common fair weather signs.
7) How many ability groups are there in the Safe Swim Defense? Name them.
8 ) In relation to fire building, what is “punk”?
9) What is the difference between the lines on your map and the direction the compass points?
10) How long must you hold your hand over the coals to know you have a moderate temperature for cooking?
That ends the ten questions for today.
Or would you like another ten?
I see some of you raising your hand.
Unfortunately, I do not have the time,
at the moment,
to post another ten questions,
so you will have to wait until next week.
Here are the answers for today’s quiz:
1) broiled, pan broiled, stewed, fried.
2) A Commando rope.
3) Handspan, finger, shoe, foot, arm span, arm length, height, arm reach, pace walk, pace run.
4) Frying, poaching.
5) Personal floatation device.
6) Red shy at night, sailor’s delight. Swallows flying way up high means there’s no rain in the sky. If smoke goes high, no rain comes by. When the dew is on the grass, rain will never come to pass.
7) Three. Nonswimmer, Beginner, Swimmer.
8 ) The flammable material needed to catch the spark from steel.
10) Four to five seconds. (Will be about 350-400 degrees.)
Did you do well? Do you enjoy these trivia quizzes? Leave a comment.
100 Days of Scouting: Day 30.