| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Melrose Troop 68 Message Board

My thoughts for a change

Posted By: Scoutmaster Steve
Date: Tuesday, 15 August 2000, at 9:52 p.m.

This weekend the troop has its monthly outing, but for some reason, nearly thirty troop members (that is right, 30!), over 75% of the troop, decided not to attend for one reason or another. Only 5 Scouts signed up to attend. Yet I hear of many of you talking about football, practice has begun, we can not miss a practice, I have to work, my computer is calling me.........

Well, to tell you the truth, I've had enough of it!

I am going on the outing this weekend because I believe that Scouting is a worthwhile organization to belong to. I believe it is worthwhile to dedicate my time and effort to this organization. And I believe I will have FUN this weekend.

I am so sick and tired of hearing excuses, hearing how great sports are, seeing how guys will dedicate themselves to 5-6 days a weeks of practice and games, but complain when they have to go to one meeting a week or one outing a month. (Think of it - 5 practices @ 2 hours per practice = 10 hours a week. At game time to this, plus your workouts and weightlifting. How many hours a week do you guys really put into your sports? All Scouting asks is an hour and a half a week.)

I will agree with you all that sports can be fun, but so can Scouting if you would APPLY yourselves as much to it as you do your sports. I am sick of people complaining that Scouting is boring, but yet they do not offer ways to bring new life to the program. I am tired of people complaining about about the program, yet offer no assistance to making a better one. And I have had enough of some saying that it should be boy run, yet do not take the time or effort to run the program and activities.

In the past, several of you have used this forum to express your opinions. It is time I wish to express mine.

I will be glad to work with boys and young men who truly wish to be Scouts. But I am not going to waste my time with guys who are Scouts in name only. If you want to be a Scout, THEN BE A SCOUT! AND ACT LIKE ONE. BE PROUD TO BE ONE!

Sometimes, I wonder myself why I do this. And you know what? I do it because of you guys, because of the boys who are in Scouting. Because Scouting can give young men something that sports cannot, that schools cannot. Scouting is something special. and many of you will not realize that until you are in your thirties, or have kids of your own.

And one other reeason to stay with it is because of friendships that I have developed over the years. Freinships both with youth members and with other adults leaders and parents. I would not give up any of those friendships for the world.

Oh well, this has been long enough. I await your responses.

The old man, who has been scoutmaster for what seems forever...............

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Password:

Melrose Troop 68 Message Board is maintained with WebBBS 3.20.