| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Melrose Troop 68 Message Board

philmont journal

Posted By: Rob Menke <jeffmenice@buckeye-express.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 August 2003, at 11:48 p.m.

Just finished one of your journals from your 1992 trip. Thanx for taking me back. It's been a long time, 1989, since I've been there. You mentioned that were not sure if you wanted to go again. I'm sure that is just the trail dust in your head. I've been 5 times and can't wait for #6. Hopefully it will be soon. I'm 43 now and the knees are 63. I can relate to your disappointment in the boys at times. We have a very small troop here in Toledo and the problems seem to be amplified with a smaller group. I too debate constantly whether or not I should continue on as SM. Do I make a difference. Why do these kids keep acting like, well, kids. Don't forget we have only an hour or two a week to try to show them there is a better way to live your life. Why do I stick around? I joined this troop in 1971 and have been in it ever since. And I don't have any kids. I just feel like I owe something to the troop for showing me that there is a better way to live. Every time I think about hanging it up I look at a letter from my first High Adventure Council Chairman. I reads, "Sometimes we wonder as we deal with the intangibles, such as individual growth and development, whether our leadership has made any disticnt difference in the lives of those we touch. At the same time we must remember that we influence every life we touch and it does make a difference. Your leadership as a crew advisor at Philmont, DID MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Your time was well invested even if only one young man received a new insight into life, values, and his own abilities. The sacraficial investment of your time and talent WILL make the difference in the lives you have touched in the days and years ahead, as these Scouts become the leaders of tomorrow." I've realized that sometimes it just takes a while for what we try to teach to sink in. Hopefully, we're there to see the light bulb go on over their head and hear them exclaim "HEY, I GET IT NOW."

Thanx again. Great sight. Y.I.S. Bob Menke SM T-1 Toledo, Ohio

| Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Password:

Melrose Troop 68 Message Board is maintained with WebBBS 3.20.